Using my Zojirushi Bread Machine - could not be easier and it taste so good.
Get this mouth party started:
- 5 tablespoons melted butter
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 3 tablespoons All-Purpose Flour
- 1 cup chopped onion
Pour 5 tablespoons melted butter into the bucket. Add 1 tablespoon oil and sprinkle in 3 tablespoons King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour. Spread 1 cup chopped onion (2 small-to-medium onions) evenly over all.
Press Start. Start your own timer, as well.
When the 15-minute timer goes off, add the following:
- one 28-ounce can tomato purée
- ¼ teaspoon thyme
- ½ teaspoon basil
- ½ teaspoon salt
- a couple of shakes of black pepper
- 1 to 3 tablespoons sugar, to taste; optional
- ¼ teaspoon baking soda
- 1 can (a scant 2 cups, 14 to 15 ounces) chicken broth
Reset your timer for 45 minutes.
When the 45-minute timer goes off, heat 1 1/2 cups light cream, half & half, or evaporated milk (one 12-ounce can) over low heat on the stove top, or in the microwave, until it’s just below a simmer.
While the milk is heating, you can purée the soup, if you have a stick blender; insert the blender into the center of the bucket (carefully avoiding the paddles*), and blend until relatively smooth.
Stir in the hot milk, close the lid, and allow the machine to complete its cycle.
From King Arthur Flour site - and simply the best tomato soup you can make.
* I did not avoid the paddles the first time I made this - took me an hour to clean my Zo. Next time, I poured into a large bowl, THEN used the blender. But it doesn't need that much if any blending.